I learnt ‘phonetic alphabet’ memory method using Harry lorayne’s book.
- I can recall 75 random objects in and out of a list in order or with out order. I can also recall reverse list.
- You tell me the object and I tell you the number. It took me one week to learn and I amuse people when they see some one remembering random objects. I was determined to go till 1000 but I got bored!
The lessons learnt are as follows
- There are plenty of things to be learnt and you can learn practically anything provided you have ample interest and time.
- Everything worth knowing has to be learnt as it is knowledge accumulated by 1000s of people over 1000s of years.
Overview of method
- You associate every number by aphonetic alphabet. For example you associate 1 with ‘T’ since 1 looks similar to ‘T’.
- Next you associate 2 with ’N’ since ’N’ has two bars.
- Similarly 3 = ‘M’
- 4 = r (Four ends with ‘r’)
- 5 = L (L = 50 in roman)
- 6 = S (Six has ‘S’)
- 7 = Hard ‘C’
- 8 = ‘V’
- 9 = ‘B’
- You only need to remember these nine combinations.
- You can choose your own letters but it is better to learn standard letters given in the book.
- Since you know the logic for each letter – number combination, you are never going to forget it.
- Remember only phonetic sounds of these letters is important.
Illustration : Now ‘T’ is substitute for number 1.I will make a word with sound of ‘T’ and vowels. I will exclude any of the nine letters used earlier.I choose ‘Tie’, you can choose your preferred word.
If I have to remember anything on position 1, I will associate that object with ‘Tie’. For example to remember aeroplane at number one position I will link a big aeroplane in my mind wearing a small tie.
Rules of association
- You must associate funny (ridiculous) things to objects. Aeroplane wearing tie going to office.
- Exaggerate the number or attach a sound to association. Like aeroplane is screaming while wearing tight tie.
- Associate an action to the sequence like aeroplane walking or running.
- Mind remembers unusual/unique/funny/ridiculous objects/sequences.
Similarly you can go on associating different things to different letter-number combinations.
Here is my list of top nine combinations
1 = Tie
2 = Noah (Boat)
3 = Mom or old lady
4 = Whisky brand bottle ‘Re’
5 = Police man or Law
6 = Shoes
7 = Cow
8 = Ivy (Bushes which live as parasites on any tree)
9 = Bee (Honey Bee)
Books make geniuses. Rest is marketing.