Stock market investing is a complex ball game.
- You need to learn about economic cycles, interest rates cycles and its impacts, foreign policies like war and its impact on economy.
- Monsoon (for India at least), political changes and political parties basic investment and economic policies.
- A lot many factors. You need to know how to distinguish between rumor and fact. When to buy and when to sell.
- A a rule of thumb, buy few quality blue chip stocks and hold for at least 3 years. Don’t watch TV everyday unless you are a trader. All advice on TV is fr traders and their business is to make people transact.
- Stock prices are nonlinear and hence it is often futile to time markets. A stock can sit on it price for years and breakout in 10 days to give 50% rise!
- All good stock over fairly long term period are near to their all time high price and deviate merely by 1%.
- Remember basic tenet of investing : Be fearful when others are greedy and be greedy when others are fearful.
- You always have chance to buy quality stocks. In short term stocks run on emotion and hence near rumors or results, you can always bargain for good price.